- 10 Easy Bathroom Remodel TipsPosted 2 weeks ago
- How to Install New Bathroom DownlightsPosted 1 year ago
- Enhancing French Country-Inspired Bathrooms with a Copper Tub and Other FixturesPosted 1 year ago
- Bathroom Renovations Don’t Have To Be ExpensivePosted 1 year ago
- 8 Small(ish) Changes That Will Make A Big Difference In Your BathroomPosted 1 year ago
- Beyond The Suite – 5 Contemporary Bathroom Accessorising TipsPosted 1 year ago
DIY Solar – A Brief Guide for Soldering Solar Cells without Professional Help
Numerous people like to invent their own electric gadgets. Solar panel is collection of cells that effectively converts sun rays to electricity. The more number of panels you have, greater will be the electricity generated. Solar panel has been used for domestic and industrial purposes. The advantage of solar over fuel energy is that, it is freely available and least expensive energy. The electricity produced by them is renewable and there will be no power scarcity in future.
You can set your own solar electric gadgets and reduce your electric bills. The process of soldering solar cells might seem to be a bit complicated initially, but soon you will start enjoying it.
The appliances you will need to connect solar cells:
- Cutters , plastic sheet cutter and iron blending tools
- Soldering iron
- Drill machine
- Screw driver
- Cobalt steel jobbers
- Twist drill bit heavy one
- Hack saw
The tools will be easily available in automotive parts store or in hardware depots. If you are new to the world of gadgets, it will be better to take advice of experience person before you begin your wonderful adventure of soldering solar cells.
Some steps to be followed for soldering cells:
- Select the type of cell you will like to connect.
- There will be two bus bars on the surface of every cell. Apply flux on the bars and apply the tabbing wire on them. Then run your heavy duty soldering iron on the surface of tabbing wires. Thus, you have connected the tabbing wire to the solar cells.
- After connecting the tab wire to the cell, the left over length of tab wire should be connected to back of next cell in the same manner to make series connection.
- When you have soldered required amount of number of cells in the panel, add addition tabs to the back side of first cell. Use bus wire to unite the two tabbing wires belonging to the first cell and the last one of the same string. Now you have soldered negative and positive contact of whole string.
The working time and effort all depends upon the methods you apply to get the solar cells connected in series. As the solar cells are quite feeble, there is greater chance of breaking while soldering them. It is advisable to use tabbed cells as they take less time and energy to get connected.
Advantage of using tabbed cells:
It has a metal connector strip fixed on the upper side of cell. The strips can be easily attached to the next cell easily. Tab strips aid to connect front side of first cell to the back side of another cell conveniently without any added effort. You can complete your work in a swift way, and ready to design the next step to be followed after soldering the cells.
Guidelines to solder cells in an efficient way
- Soldering iron should be of best quality otherwise the tab strip will come out.
- Never leave soldering to be cooled in between as it will not give you good result. High heat will also induce damage to the cells. Adjustable soldering iron will be better to connect cells.
- Tabbing wire should be clean.
- Make sure to put flux adequately in the square dots on the back of the cells before soldering them.
Once you have built your solar appliance it will surely give you great satisfaction and reduce the amount in electricity bill.
Kevin usually writes on DIY topics, using which people do a lot of tasks on their own and save a lot of money. He also mentions the importance of DIY tools like the silver solder.